Student Marketing Case Study
Tower Hamlets College approached Campus Media to create and deliver an outdoor marketing campaign throughout East London to promote its A-level courses to potential students.
What the client said:
“Using outdoor events as part of our wider student recruitment activities was a new departure for the College. In the competitive post 16 market in east London, we needed to further our marketing touch-points with prospective students and build our brand with them. We found Campus Media to be fully responsive and adaptable to our ever-changing brief, which saw our planned events go from an initial two through to eight events this summer! This activity has been successful in opening up new recruitment avenues for us. I will be working with Campus Media again in the future.”
– Allan Carruthers, Head of Marketing and Communications, Tower Hamlets College
Tower Hamlets College requested a multi-location, outdoor campaign throughout East London to directly promote its educational opportunities to potential students aged 16 and 18.
In order to deliver this campaign successfully, Tower Hamlets College needed to partner with a youth marketing company that had strong expertise combined with the necessary education event marketing services and experience to run a successful set of open days to promote its opportunities to the specified target market.
Aims of the campaign:
- To engage with 16 year olds who are likely to be moving into sixth form this September (pre-dominantly for A-level study)
- To also engage with other young people up to the age of 18 in a fun and interactive way, to help them view the college as a place to seriously consider for their studies and not just as a back-up plan
- Encourage event visitors to enrol with Tower Hamlets College in August as a first choice education destination
- Change and challenge perceptions of the college – show students it is a fun, friendly and diverse place to study
- Communicate key messages, including:
- Tower Hamlets is the market leader in getting young people into university
- Tower Hamlets send more young students to university than local schools
- Tower Hamlets support its pupils in getting real-life work experience through paid internships with leading companies in Canary Wharf and the City of London
- Tower Hamlets offer more A-level choices than other schools
- Tower Hamlets is a good college rated by Ofsted
The Open Day Campaign solution included:
Campus Media devised and deployed a fun-filled, open marquee event at three high footfall locations in East London (within the college’s catchment area and beyond).
A photo booth, ice-cream and candy floss was used to attract young students to the stand, where the Tower Hamlets College team was on hand to inform them of the study opportunities available at the college.
The marquee was set up in an open format so that what was happening inside could be seen from all angles to encourage others to participate and overcome any initial hesitancy.
Young visitors were able to participate in fun activities, such as:
- Dressing up and taking pictures in a photo booth
- Relax and pick up ice cream and candy floss
- Chat to students and advisers about their options and ask questions about the College
- Discuss their future career options and get information about their choices
Campus Media handled all the logistics and the branding with a on-site manager on hand throughout to brief the team on the stand and provide support throughout the day.
The client stated that they have received at least 10 new students directly from the Campus Media activity.